Wednesday, October 09, 2013

M is for Margy

M is for Margy

Starting my cityfolk life.
Wayne and I used to be what he called "cityfolk" in his books. I was born and raised in the Los Angeles area. You don't get much more cityfolk than that. When my parents were young, it was a small town. Mom's family were farmers and Dad's ran a corner grocery store. They each were the first in their family to go to college, and both became teachers. Now my small hometown has been swallowed by the big city and there's nothing rural about it.

Daddy's girl hiking in Lassen National Park.
Summer vacations were for camping trips, many up the coast to British Columbia. I learned to love the outdoors and fished alongside my dad. Mom, Dad, and I (a spoiled only child) hiked, went to ranger talks, and learned lots about nature. The seeds for my future life were planted.

Principal of Erwin Elementary School.
I went to college and followed in my parents' footsteps to become an educator. I taught kindergarten like Mom and then became a school administrator like Dad. Those were great years.  I met Wayne, and we found we had lots of common interests. That's been one of the strong points in our marriage. He taught me to fly, and we purchased Piper Arrow 997.

997 in her original paint in Baja California.
We traveled far and wide in 997 to New York, Cancun, James Bay (the tip of Hudson Bay), and the Arctic Ocean. Many years included camping under the wing of our airplane in British Columbia.  On a trip in 2000, we discovered Powell River, BC. We returned in 2001 and discovered Powell Lake and its unique float cabins. That was the moment we started the transition from cityfolk to our new way of life off the grid.

Our float cabin in Hole in the Wall.
After taking an early retirement in 2005, Wayne and I wanted to spend more time in all seasons at our float cabin home. The solution was to become Canadian permanent residents in 2008. Along the way, we had to learn new skills for our new off-the-grid lifestyle. That's where our good friend John comes in. We bought his Cabin #3 at Hole in the Wall, and we lovingly say, "he came with it." John has remained our friend and patient mentor.

Powell River, BC, from the Texada Island ferry.
You never know what life has in store. Wayne and I never want to go back to our cityfolk roots. The slower pace in Powell River fits us. We spent years looking for a place to retire. Like many things in life, the solution found us. Are you looking for a small, safe, forward thinking place to live?

Take a look at Powell River.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment or use the link in my profile to my email address. -- Margy

12 comments:

  1. Margy! It looks to me like paradise! Thank you for giving us a glimp of heaven!
    Wil, ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee Margy, I'm so near and yet so far. I've been as far as where you catch the ferry over, but no farther. One day.....I'll let you know when!

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to use M to share some background on yourself. One day when we are visiting Vancouver Island I'd love to take a trip up to Powell River.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe we'll start a trend at ABC Wednesday. Such fun to see the photos of you when you were a cute little one with a doll buggy, and sitting on a fallen tree eating sandwiches (that one's my favourite).
    And of course there are never too many views of your float cabin. I enjoy them so much.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. We discovered Powell River about seven years ago. There is magic in the air, I feel younger, happier, more energetic, optimistic, clear headed and content. If any one is looking for a place to retire nice houses with sea views can be had for $250,000. (No, I'm not a realtor, just want to share the joy).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's what I call a super retirement!!!My daughter just became a vice principal after 18 years of the classroom--she is so perfect for the job.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, your post really goes well with Denise's intro too!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you have found your Shangri La.....anywhere in B.C. is pretty great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post Margy! - I've lived here 40 years now, and don't want to live anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was lovely learning more about you. I've never been to Powell River - but it looks like a wonderful place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone for stopping by and commenting on my ABC Wednesday post. It was fun sharing a bit about my life. - Margy

    ReplyDelete