Wednesday, September 11, 2013

What's in a Name? Iron Maiden

I is for Iron Maiden

I love visiting the commercial harbour in Steveston, BC with all of its classic work boats.

Here's one named the Iron Maiden. When I took the pictures, I was attracted to the classic fishing boat style, and the clean looking blue and white paint job. Then I did a little research online and she became even more interesting.

The CFV: Iron Maiden is a fishing boat. CFV stands for a registered Canadian Fishing Vessel. The Iron Maiden is owned and operated by Iron Maiden Seafoods, a third generation commercial fishing family of Sooke, BC. They handle wild, premium grade seafood including tuna, salmon, and shrimp.

According to a high school reunion website for GiGi Egan of Iron Maiden Seafoods, they have a second vessel named the Motley Crew. So it appears that the name Iron Maiden is not a reference to the sturdy hull, or middle age torture device. It appears both the Iron Maiden and Motley Crew (Crue) may have names derived from heavy metal bands. It would be interesting if someone from Iron Maiden Seafoods could comment on this for us.

After my initial posting, I received a comment from John. He used to work on the Iron Maiden.
Hate to tell you this given I was a fan of Iron Maiden Band in the 80s, but I worked on the Iron Maiden which was built in the late 80s by Kurt Robbins a commercial fisherman out of Bamfield. The boat was named after a 60s wrestler.
IronMaiden2Here's a picture from her early working days.

And maybe this is the wrestler.



Not sure who looks tougher, the boat or the woman. Maybe that's the point. -- Margy

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely they are named after heavy metal bands! They are the bands of my mispent youth, enjoying life at festivals and stange music venues that I wouldn't be seen dead in now!!! But secretely I still love the music!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still love Pink Floyd. We had a tribute band come to Powell River. They were pretty good too. Roger Waters is going to perform in Vancouver in May, but the tickets are way out of my league. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hate to tell you this given I was a fan of Iron Maiden Band in the 80s, but I worked on the Iron Maiden which was built in the late 80s by Kurt Robbins a commercial fisherman out of Bamfield. The boat was named after a 60s wrestler

    ReplyDelete
  4. John - Thanks for giving us the real story. I like wandering around harbors and wondering about how boats get their names. Now I know about this one for sure. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome, here is a link to the boat during its first season of shrimp dragging back in the late 80s,

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50417121@N00/9677560390/

    ReplyDelete
  6. John - Thanks for the link. She sure looked a lot different in those days. Are you still involved with fishing? - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just fish for sport and dinner now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi John - If you are still around, do you think this is the wrestler? She was wrestling in the 1980s under the name Iron Maiden. I couldn't find any reference to a wrestler from the 1960s. - Margy

    http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling3/jeffs_box/elmirainterview.html

    ReplyDelete