Tuesday, July 09, 2013

They don't make them like that any more!

Last week we went airplane camping. In many ways, it's similar to car camping. You pack up the tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, chairs, lanterns, and cooler. For longer trips, you can take the Coleman stove and all the cooking and eating paraphernalia.

When I was a little girl (some sixty years ago), I camped by station wagon with my parents. Dad outfitted the car with a fold-down commissary in back and room when the back seat was down for them to sleep. I slept on the front seat. Once we got to our destination, the tent stored in the top rack came down for more "luxurious" camping.

Mom and Dad had two flannel-lined sleeping bags that zipped together. After high school, our camping days were over. I "inherited" the double bag and have continued to use it with Wayne for camping

If you've been following my blog, you know I hate to give up on things that can be refurbished and reused, especially something with such sentimental value. Because we use flannel sheets inside, only the top edge has started to fray.  On our last camping trip to Chehalis Airport, I used the picnic table to do some mending.


Two flannel sheets and some hand stitching did the trick. The hardest part was working around the snaps, but even that worked fine. Now Wayne and I can continue the family tradition and sleep warm while airplane camping for many years to come. -- Margy

7 comments:

  1. We did station wagon camping a lot when I was a kid. I grew up in Northern BC and we used to boat camp on a gigantic deep lake called Babine Lake. We would get in the boat, drive two hours to the middle of nowhere (so we didn't see civilization or other boats) and camp with a tent on the side of the lake. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have excellent adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:40 PM

    We had the flannel sleeping bags that zipped together. We stopped camping due to osteoarthritis in my knees so gave them away to a good home. Now we hotel or motel camp :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great job on those sheets

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember those sleeping bags. Very warm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful memories - and a great job mending the sleeping bags - nothing like the old ones to keep you warm and bring back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheapchick - When I camped with my parents it was always in parks near others. It was my grandmother that loved to be away from people.

    Thanks all for stopping by. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy