Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Trolling for Trout

Wayne and I do most of our fishing near our float cabin home on Powell Lake. At the end of a warm spring or summer day, you'll find us out in our tin boat trolling for trout through First Narrows and out into the main lake.

We use a Garmin Fishfinder 160C to help guide us to likely spots.  Newer models are here. It's full colour display is easy to read and gives us information about depth, water temperature, and the bottom structure. It also displays images of cute little fish swimming below the surface. Dark ones are below the boat, outlined ones are swimming nearby. Don't ask me how that works, magic I guess.

Wayne trolls with a rod holder and Scotty Laketroller downrigger. His line is down about twenty feet. I troll the old fashioned way by casting, playing out my line, and holding the rod. Whether using old fashioned fishing skills or new fangled technology, the fish are here.

Powell Lake is open April 1 to October 31. You need a BC freshwater license if you are 16 or older to catch Cutthroat and Rainbow Trout. Use barbless hooks to make it easier to catch and release and give your fish a second chance. -- Margy

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:00 AM

    There is nothing like a peaceful morning fishing on the lake. We haven't done it for years, but all the fishing gear is still downstairs ... maybe one of these days we'll take it up again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in Florida. And the reason my parents moved us there was because they loved to fish. We fished all the time. Brings back good memories for me. I haven't fished in many years now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have'nt been fishing in years! Thanks for sharing your trip!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy