Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Little brown jug, don't I love thee!

Rusted remnants of wood stove.
At the turn of the 20th Century there were logging camps on the shores Powell Lake.  One of those camps was at what we now call The Point. A dam built at the papermill in 1912 and increased in 1924 raised the lake level. Now you can only get to the camp location at low, low water.

The last time I could get there was in 2008. I found the legs of a wood stove buried in the rocks. I also found shards of pottery, some of it with oriental designs including Mt. Fuji, and the top to a jug.  Some of the treasures were above the waterline, some below.

This time I found a few remaining pottery shards and more pieces of the jug I found five years ago.  A "Little Brown Jug" to be specific.


It immediately made me think of the old drinking song of the same title.

LITTLE BROWN JUG

Me and my wife live all alone
In a little log hut we call our own;
She loves gin and I love rum,
And don't we have a lot of fun!

Ha, ha, ha, you and me,
Little brown jug, don't I love thee!
Ha, ha, ha, you and me,
Little brown jug, don't I love thee!

The song goes on, but the first verse makes me think of Wayne and me all alone in our little float cabin (even though I prefer a brew).  Here's a video of the song that I think is a hoot.


"Little Brown Jug" I do love thee as a part of my treasures collection. -- Margy

6 comments:

  1. Fabulous post - love the song too, it was hilarious. Shards of pottery really do make for interesting imaginings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that song takes me back to being a little kid and that getting played and sung. lovely goofy innocence.

    imagine finding a whole brown jug now. they're getting rare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fascinating. thanks for sharing your world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a wonderful place for treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun to go exploring and actually find remnants.
    Hic-cup---LOL MB

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy