Monday, April 01, 2013

Butternut Squash with Kale and Quinoa

Sunday was Easter and a birthday celebration with Mom 97th, a big event for our small family. I made a rib roast and our friend Jeanne brought the salad and a scrumptious chocolate layer cake.

For a side dish I made butternut squash with kale and quinoa.

Butternut Squash with Kale and Quinoa in Browned Butter
1 butternut squash
1 small onion
5 cloves garlic
2 cups chopped kale
1/4 cup hazelnuts
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup pre-cooked quinoa
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
salt and pepper to taste
Go to Simply Recipes for directions on how to brown butter.
Go to theKitchn for directions with pictures on how to cook quinoa.

Remove the seeds, peel and dice the butternut squash into 1/2 inch pieces. Chop onions, garlic, kale, and hazelnuts.

Heat butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Whisk frequently as the milk solids in the butter turn to a light brown and get a nutty aroma. Do not burn! Add onion and then garlic and cook on medium low heat until lightly caramelized.

Stir in thyme and add the diced squash. Toss to coat with the remaining butter then spread out in a single layer. Continue to cook on medium low heat without stirring until lightly browned on one side. Stir and spread out again to brown on the other side and cook on low for 10 to 20 minutes or until the squash is tender. You can do this much ahead and finish just before dinner.

Before serving, add kale, hazelnuts, pre-cooked quinoa, and season to taste with Worcester sauce, salt and pepper. Cook just long enough to wilt the kale and warm the quinoa. Serve and enjoy.

Quinoa is new to me.  I like its nutty flavour in dishes like this.  Do you cook with quinoa? I would love to hear about your recipes. - Margy

6 comments:

  1. Wow, your Mom is 97 that is great. My Mom lived to 95 and had a good full life. Healthy to the end.

    We had dinner at my house--Bob and I cooked and all the girls and fam showed up and one of Bob's sons and girlfriend. It was nice. I like quinoa. It is good by it's self or with something and you can buy it looking like pasta and my Mother made the best Mac and Cheese using it. MB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried cooking with quinoa yet but I've tasted it and enjoyed it.
    Kale is madly healthy stuff, isn't it? Your mother is sure to live many more years on a diet like that. Congratulations to her for the first 97.
    And anything that contains butternut squash is good as far as I'm concerned. I love it! Yyyyum!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always cooking with Quinoa. This recipe looks good. Might try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MB - Sounds like you had a great holiday.

    Kay - It was pretty easy to cook, and you can make it ahead to add to dishes.

    Stephanie - What are some of the ways you use it?

    Margy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like you posted this for me! I love butternut squash and quinoa so that's my tea sorted, thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks fabulous. I haven't mastered the art of browning butter. it takes such a keen attention span.

    ReplyDelete