Saturday, February 16, 2013

Great Backyard Bird Count 2013

The 16th annual Great Backyard Bird Count started today and will run through through February 18.

GBBC is hosted by Audubon, Cornell Lab of Ornithology, and Bird Studies Canada. During this four day event, everyone is encouraged to get out and see what kinds of birds and how many are in your own back yard. Novices and experienced birders can participate. Get outside and make this a family event. Don't have a backyard of your own? Just pick a location you like.

I chose the back porch of Mom's Bellingham condo.  She's had a bird feeder here for two years now.  It's a bit hard to count some of the birds that come in little flocks.  These guys are daily regulars:

1    Downy Woodpecker
1    Steller's Jay
1    Northern Flicker
2    Dark-eyed Junco ("Oregon" Junco)
4    House Finch (male and female)
7    Chickadee

I also looked out into the small patch of wetlands visible from the condo balcony.  From there I saw:

3   Gulls (not sure, maybe Glaucous-winnged)
9   Common Raven (a flock roosting)
 
Have you been out bird counting?  There are still two more days to get involved. -- Margy

3 comments:

eileeninmd said...

I am glad to see you are also participating in the GBBC. It is fun, I am doing from my dining room window so I could be missing a few birds from my count. Love your Stellar Jay!

Lise said...

Darn it, I forgot to sign up! We have feeders all around our cabin, and I love watching the birds. This morning, I believe I captured a picture of a Downy Woodpecker, I've spotted him before but could never get a picture! Handsome fellow:)

Jennifer A. Jilks said...

I was away at a wedding on the w/e and couldn't count the birds. So sad. But fun!