Monday, January 07, 2013

Stuffed Acorn Squash

Over the holidays we didn't want a traditional turkey, but still wanted some dressing.  So to go along with a standing rib roast, I made baked acorn squash with stuffing.

Stuffed Acorn Squash

Cut a large acorn squash in half and scoop out seeds.  Slice to make six lengthwise sections.  Place in a large baking dish with 1/2 inch water, sprinkle with salt and ground cinnamon, and cover with foil.  Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees or until fork tender.

Start with a box of Savory Herb Stove Top Stuffing.  I like to doctor it up a bit.  Dice 1/2 cup onion, 1/4 cup celery (including leaves), 1/4 cup bell pepper, 1/4 cup zucchini, 1/4 pecans, and 3 cloves garlic. Saute in 1 tablespoon olive oil until tender.  Add salt, pepper, and crushed dried thyme leaves to taste.

Mix sauted veggies with bread crumbs from the mix. Boil 1 cup water with 4 tablespoons margarine.  Stir into the bread crumb and sauteed veggies. 

Remove any remaining water from the baking dish. Cover acorn squash with the stuffing mix. 

Cover and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove the foil and bake an additional 15 minutes to brown the top of the stuffing.

This makes a great side dish or a hearty vegetarian entree. Do you have any vegetarian dishes you would like to recommend? -- Margy

7 comments:

  1. This is definitely one for me. I don't know what Stove Top Stuffing is, but I am sure that I can improvise! It looks impressive to be a main meal xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! Will definitely be trying this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going to try thIs out without using the stovetop stuff, use my own recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMmmmm that looks real good. I may try it. Had Acorn squash for dinner last night. I love squash.
    No blue sky down this was (my reflection picture was taken last summer). Rain rain rain forever I guess. We are building an ark.
    How's Mom doing these days? MB

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried stuffed acorn squash but now it's a must. Your dish looks really good and very easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margaret - I've used two kinds of stuffing. This one and a brown rice, cranberry and pecan mixture. Both came out tasty and good enough for vegetarian entree. - Margy

    ReplyDelete