Thursday, September 13, 2012

What's in a Name? Western Warrior

In the working boat section of Squalicum Harbor in Bellingham, WA, the Western Warrior is ready for a well deserved rest at the dock.

I found a picture of a boat with the same name and contours by Alan H. Brown. His description said she was a seiner with BC registry through April 2011. If it's the same ship (and I believe it is), she was built in 1944 at Vancouver’s Coal Harbour by W.R. Menchions with rare sawn yellow cedar frames. At the time of Brown's picture, she was owned by Jim Pattison, the famous and wealthy Canadian entrepreneur.

From her former Canadian registry, here's more information. She's 22.52 metres in length with a gross tonnage of 110. The powerful diesel engine pushes her up to 10 knots on the open sea.

In the warm evening light, isn't she a lovely ship? -- Margy


  1. She certainly is! Great looking working boat.

    (And I swear Pattison has owned everything there is to own in BC, at one time or another!)

  2. She certainly is beautiful. I love to read about a boat and then find it later on.. I came across a tug that people lived on and it's name was/is Gleaner. Quite a history in that old boat.

    How often are you in Bellingham? Maybe we should meet for coffee sometime. MB

  3. Paul - When you are a wealthy as Pattison you CAN own BC (bring cash). I am about 90% sure this is the same boat.

    MB - I am in Bellingham most of the time now that I am Mom's primary live-in caregiver. Let's do it. I'll send you a message. - Margy

  4. Wow, that boat is older than I am. Good old boat. Love the name, and she's a beauty alright.

  5. Isn't it amazing. Your views are so different than mine. Glad to share.