Thursday, September 06, 2012

Barkley Sound

While I was in Mission BC to pick Wayne up from his three-day solo kayak trip on the lower Fraser River, I saw this interesting fishing boat in the marina. Mission is about 80 kilometres (50 miles) up river. I was surprised to see such a large fishing boat, but maybe she's undergoing some kind of conversion or renovation.

Of course, her classic work boat lines first caught my eye, but then I noticed something unusual on her back deck where the net drum usually resides - a camper shell. Then as I looked farther forward, it appears that an enclosure is either being constructed or deconstructed on the main deck. Whatever the case, The Barkley Sound out of Vancouver BC is quite the ship.

Maybe her fishing days are done and someone is making her into a floating home. My Blogger friend Fran and her husband Pete in England is doing something similar with an old barge. Take a look here to see how things are coming along on her future floating home, the Bonnie of Clyde. -- Margy


  1. What an excellent idea. You wouldn't have any trouble sleeping..just float and lul off. Tranquility.

  2. Aaaahh - great pics of the barge conversion in Tollesbury - just a few miles from my former home in Maldon!

  3. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I'll have to go back later and see what's happening with her. - Margy