Thursday, June 28, 2012

A Classic Powell Lake Tug Marline W

I've mentioned before that Powell Lake is both a recreational and working lake, and boats are an important part of each function. From our front porch at the float cabin, we see work boats, tugs, barges and log booms traveling up and down the lake. One classic tug that plies our waters is the Marline W.


The Marline W is a wooden hull classic tug. It's moored in the Powell Lake (Shinglemill) Marina, but can be seen up and down the lake doing a variety of jobs.


Here she's towing a barge that brought building materials up to a float cabin that was being rebuilt. I know a wood hull is a challenge to maintain, but isn't she a beauty?

If you are interested in a classic boat, the Marline W is currently for sale. -- Margy

9 comments:

  1. I've seen her moored there often, but didn't realize she was a working boat. And I agree, these old wooden hulled boats are good looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marline looks lovely. Would look great in a painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes she is with all that nice wood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul - She doesn't go out as much as some of the other tugs, but you will see her working on the lake.

    Thanks everyone for taking the time to stop by and comment. Hope you are enjoying some of the great boats here in BC and the Pacific Northwest.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very interested in contacting the fellow with the barge for sale , my name is Joe Hutton 250-204-5344

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does anyone still know the where abouts of this tug?
    My great Grandfather Hubert Piggot built her in Sooke in the late 1950's I just acquired original photos with his comments written on the back-
    Lisa Grambart (Wheatley)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She left Powell River a number of years ago. While I knew the tug, I didn't know the owner personally so I don't know what happened to her. Good luck in your search. She was a beautiful classic to see out on the water working. - Margy

      Delete
  7. Thank you for you feedback. Is there a way to send the photos of her in her original state? I can’t seem to figure it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa - I have several photos I can share. There's an email link in my blog profile. Click on the upper right where it says "View my complete profile." You will find the email link on the left. Click and it should open a new email message on your computer screen. Send me a message and I can send the photos back to you as attachments. Do you want medium or large size images? How many? - Margy

      Delete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy