Thursday, June 07, 2012

Raggedy Anne's a Working Boat on Powell Lake

This year, a "new" boat showed up at the Shinglemill Marina on Powell Lake. Her name is Raggedy Anne. I've been wanting to get a picture of her for some time, and last weekend she was moored at the end of the transient dock right next to our Halcyon Days.

Raggedy Anne has the words "Water Taxi" on the front of her command bridge. That's because she worked as one of the Lund Water Taxis taking passengers and supplies from Lund to Savary Island.


I don't know why she's now on Powell Lake. Maybe retirement in time to enjoy a summer up the lake. Or maybe to provide transportation for summer lake visitors. Right now, unless you have a boat of your own, it's hard to enjoy all that Powell Lake has to offer.


When I first saw her, I thought the name was perfect. It's obvious she's done a lot of work, leaving her a bit raggedy. The red and white colour made me think of a Raggedy Ann doll. And then when I learned she was a Lund Water Taxi, I thought maybe Raggedy came from the nearby Ragged (Copeland) Islands. Is Anne an owner or relative? Maybe someone from Lund Water Taxi will see this and fill in the details. -- Margy

5 comments:

  1. I can't fill in the details but the name suits the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First thing I thought of was the Ragged's - I'm sure that is what at least suggested the name, especially if she worked in Lund.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks worse for wear. Nice shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She looks like a grand old girl, ready to enjoy retirement.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like Raggedy Anne has moved on after just a short vacation on the lake. Next time I'm in Lund I'll have to see if she is back on the job. The busy time for Savary Island trips is just a few weeks away. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy