Thursday, May 31, 2012

What's in a Name? Nautilus Swell

This week I have a Swell boat for you. The Nautilus Swell that is. I saw her while walking the pier in Steveston BC, one of my favourite working boat harbours. Her classic lines first caught my eye, then I was taken by her pristine condition.

I went online and found out that the Nautilus Swell is a live-aboard scuba dive tour boat for 14 guests that cruises the waters of British Columbia and Alaska.

Some of the trip stories were pretty amazing. Tours run from 8 to 11 days, depending on the destination.

The Nautilus Swell was built a century ago to serve as a tug, then she became a fishing vessel before her conversion to a luxury dive excursion boat. She is 92 feet long and 22 feet wide, and underwent a retrofit in 2005 to the tune of $3.5 million. That must make her a really swell ship to cruise on. -- Margy


  1. What an interesting boat you found! A real beauty, too - just my kind - stout and sturdy!

  2. That would make an amazing houseboat x

  3. As soon as I saw the pics I thought "converted tug" - and a real beauty at that!

    (And for the record, proving I'm not a robot is getting tougher all the time!)

  4. Beautiful boat. I probably takes plenty of 'swell' bucks to take a cruise on it.

    My knee is doing what it is supposed to be doing---healing and hurting---but I am getting along ok. MB

  5. You see the most interesting sights!
    Thanks for popping by, my faithful reader!
    Greetings from Cottage Country!

  6. She'a a real beauty!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

  7. You find such interesting boats to show on your blog. This one is a beauty for sure.