Thursday, April 26, 2012

What's in a Name? Relief

I just can't get no "Relief." I just couldn't pass up the play on words from the Queen song Somebody to Love. When I was on Granville Island, I spent a lot of time walking around. When I got to the base of the bridge, I was surprised to see a boat hanging from the underside.

She is the Relief of Prince Rupert. There is more information about her at the website Wooden Boats of the North Coast.

The Relief was built in 1929 by McLean's Shipyard in Seal Cove, Prince Rupert, as a 50-foot halibut fishing boat for Captain Merrill Sollows. After a stint as a rum runner, she was a very productive troller. But like many other wooden ships, Relief ended up needing too much work to make her seaworthy. The Sandbar Restaurant bought and mounted her outside to enhance the view for diners.

On my second trip to Granville Island to hear Lloyd Kahn speak about his Tiny Homes book, I ate at the Sandbar. The Relief kept me company through a tasty dinner and local Granville Island brew.

If you are a fan of wooden boats, Halfmoon Communications has an extensive list by name. The author also has some pictures on a Flickr page. -- Margy


  1. Very cool, Margy! I love stuff like that, too. That's a great gallery of wooden boats at the Halfmoon website and on Flickr. I think my favorite name is "Swell". Am wondering in what context they mean that!!

  2. Thanks for stopping by to comment. Funny you mentioned Swell. I have a picture of her for a future post. - Margy

  3. I saw her the last time I was there - it's so neat!

  4. wooden boats are so beautiful! the skill and craftsmanship so interesting to see! sad that they are expensive to maintain!

  5. I will go and check her out when I visit Granville Island. I must visit Opus art store for some much needed supplies. Thanks for the tip on the history of this boat.