Thursday, April 05, 2012

What's in a Name? Island Chief

Squalicum Harbor has been under construction for several months. One day, Wayne and I went to the fuel dock and saw this big tug moving a work barge.

The Island Chief is pretty unique. A crows nest is something I haven't seen before on a tug.

The Island Chief is owned by the Island Tug & Barge Company of Seattle, Washington. It was built in 1963 by Luby J. Guidry with a length of 21.64 metres. It works as a pusher rather than a puller tug, so I guess the high perch allows the captain to see forward over the load.

Paul, this one's especially for you. -- Margy

4 comments:

  1. She's a beauty! And you're right, the crow's nest - while not unique - is definitely something not seen often. Though it looks nice, I don't think I'd want to be "up top" in a rough sea!

    Thanks Margy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is a pretty looking tug boat with a nice shade of green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul - I agree with you, that high up would really rock and roll in a bad storm. I don't think I've seen one like this up our way. We usually have pullers. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful shots. Looks like someplace I would enjoy living.

    Thanks for stopping by to see my Amish horse.

    ReplyDelete