Thursday, March 15, 2012

What's in a Name? Pescador

This week I took a mini-vacation to Steveston, BC. It's a place I really enjoy visiting, and I can get there and back from Bellingham in 24 hours. I stay overnight at the Historic Steveston Hotel and eat at one of the many seafood restaurants along the wharf.

Next to Garry Point Park is Scotch Pond. This reclaimed marsh land holds a pocket marina for mostly smaller fishing boats.

The name on this one says it all, in Spanish. Pescador means fisherman. Looks like she has been out on quite a few trips.

The Pescador is a trawler. The high poles are called outriggers. When lowered, they each hold several lines with multiple hooks. I wonder if my salmon dinner came from the Pescador? Maybe. - Margy

7 comments:

  1. enjoyed the photos and thinking about eating seafood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love to see the fishing boats, Margy. So happy to see one named Pescador, too.
    And your photos bring back many memories of the BC coast.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Theanne, I love seafood.

    Kay - I learned about this marina from a blog about a Vancouver float home. If all get approved, I think the owner will be putting it here as part of a display with the rights to live aboard. http://eclecticark.blogspot.com/2011/12/piece-of-history.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steveston is certainly a quaint little hamlet in Vancouver. I love the restaurants there. Glad you got over there for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pescador - I love the way that name just rolls off the tongue. I also like the name troller, never heard of tat before xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. When we lived in Vancouver...Steveston was a Sunday destination in the summer...fish and chips and a stroll through the town and docks, we would often buy some freshly caught fish...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fram - Maybe because our ocean waters are relatively shallow, trollers can catch fish by dragging hooks. I assume your waters are deeper and colder.

    Stephanie and Margaret - You know what a wonderful little place it is. If you know where to go, it can be an inexpensive holiday. I love the old Steveston Hotel, a great bargain right in the middle of town.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete