Monday, February 06, 2012

Banana Nut Bread

One of Mom's favourite breakfast foods is bananas. Sometimes a few stick around a bit too long and get brown and soft. Don't throw them away, throw them into a batter and make some Banana Nut Bread.

Banana Nut Bread
  • 1 3/4 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup mashed bananas
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mash bananas with a fork. Mix together eggs, sugar, bananas and oil. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well. Stir in vanilla and chopped pecans.

Grease and flour one large or two small loaf pans. Pour in ingredients and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes on the top rack. Remove when brown on top and firm to the touch.

Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Store in plastic wrap or foil to keep moist.

This was a good recipe for Mom to help with. She mashed the bananas, greased the pans, and stirred in the nuts. Mom has always like baking, so it was a fun activity we could do together.

What are some of the things you like doing with your parents? -- Margy

9 comments:

  1. My girls LOVE helping me make banana bread! Now I know what I'll do on our next rainy day.

    It was so great to meet you and Wayne, and I was glad to see there was such a good turnout for him! We 'hamsters do like our off-the-grid stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pecans! Ooh, I could even get my husband to eat banana bread with pecans. I never thought of that. And the loaves look beautiful. Mine always fall in the middle.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Haven't made this in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS — me again. You won't believe this, but the very next blog I read contained a recipe for a pecan pie that isn't too icky sweet. Two pecan recipes in a row.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Banana Bread is one of my favorites to make. I often use applesauce in place of butter to make it low fat. I don't get to bake with my mom anymore as she lives in Vancouver. Looks like you two had a good time baking together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks good with the pecans, will try that. I used to pop bananas in the freezer and although they went black (no matter for baking) they also just squeeze out of the skins xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. lizziviggi - yes it was fun to meet each other.

    Jenn - It was a fun thing to do with Mom. Keeps her busy and engaged. She is doing well, but still does not have enough lower body strength to stand on her own.

    Kay - I just love pecans, so whenever a recipe calls for walnuts, I put in pecans instead.

    Stephanie - The applesauce also sounds like it makes the banana bread nice and moist. I'll have to try it.

    Fran - I can just imagine you squirting bananas all over the boat. Just kidding! I love to eat frozen bananas covered in chocolate and nuts like the sell at the fair.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those loaves of banana bread look delicious! How blessed you are to still have your Mom. Looks like she's enjoying the baking together...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Dianne - It is more work to have Mom help, but an important way to keep her engaged in every day living. - Margy

    ReplyDelete