Friday, January 13, 2012

Cranberry Orange Nut Bread

When I was getting ready to come home to the float cabin, I needed to prepare some things for Mom and her helpers to eat. Of course, we made breakfast bran muffins. I also made two Cranberry Orange Nut Bread. I used this recipe from

Cranberry Orange Nut Bread

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup chopped cranberries
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon orange zest
If you use dried cranberries, put one cup in a little water and bring them to a boil. Remove from heat and let them reconstitute while you prepare the other ingredients.

Mix together the egg, oil, orange juice, and orange zest. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture, and stir until just blended. Mix in cranberries and nuts.

Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan (or two smaller ones) and sp
oon in the batter. Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan(s) and cool completely.

I like to use the small pans because the bread cuts just the right size to make little sandwiches filled with pineapple cream cheese spread for lunch. -- Margy


  1. Happppppppppppy New Year to you and yours Marge.
    Your bread came out picture prefect!
    This flavor combo is one of my favorites and the local bakery used to make good cran/orange/nut muffins but no more. I'll give this a try this weekend. I like that most of the ingredience is what I have on hand anyway.

  2. Oh, yum, Margy. I've just bookmarked this page. Dick and I would love this bread.
    I hope your mom is well, and you and Wayne, too. Did you tell him I really like his Air Force novel?

  3. Oh my goodness this is just to funny. I have just made some muffins and I was looking at making cranberry ones! I got a juicer for Christmas and I LOVE it! But there is a lot of waste with juicing. Well this morning I was juicing, pineapple,oranges,strawberries,apple,and some pear. I thought that would be to good to waste, so I saved it and made muffins with it added a little bran and some raisins and cinnamon and viola!

    Hope you are having a great weekend!

  4. Tash - I used the same baking time for the small pans as one large one. It was a bit dry. I would recommend reducing the baking time if you use small pans to keep it moister.

    Kay - I did tell Wayne about the book. His first love is science fiction.

    Smalltown RN - That sounds like a good way to increase the fiber in a natural way.