Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Ugly Duckling

On a recent trip to Steveston, BC, I strolled along the docks to look at the fishing boats. Nearby there was a raucous group of birds begging for food. Among the many seagulls there was one large bird.

I didn't know what kind of bird it was, so I did some research online. I now believe it is a juvenile Mute Swan.

His colouring helps him blend in with the neighbourhood gulls, but his size, shape and aggressive nature gives him away. Can you help with my identification? -- Margy

8 comments:

  1. Jsut a guess but I think you are right about it being a juvenile swan. He will outgrow the ugle duckling stage and grown into a magnificent swan...kind of like what some of us were when we were young. Love your newsy posts Margy. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mute Swan is correct Margy, an introduced species! A number of bird posts on my Blogger list today, including mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beauty underneath. I think he is a Mute swan too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Barb, Paul and Lorac - He was quite aggressive with the other birds, but I guess size does matter. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swans are nasty but beautiful. I hope he got some food :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great sighting and a beautiful swan. Wonderful photos. Have a great sunday and a Happy Holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice shot! He does look out of place with those gulls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have took great pictures,

    ReplyDelete