Sunday, December 04, 2011

Cranberry Stuffed Acorn Squash

These recent cold nights make me think of comfort foods. Winter squash fills the bill in my cookbook. I chose acorn squash because of it's size for our small family and shape for stuffing.

Like many of my recipes, I did Internet research then put together several to match the ingredients I had on hand and what I think will taste good.

Cranberry Stuffed Acorn Squash

1 acorn squash
1 cup croutons
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 stalk celery diced
1/4 onion chopped
1/2 apple diced
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup apple juice
salt & pepper to taste

Slice the top off an acorn squash, scoop out seeds and trim the bottom so the squash will stand upright. Fill a baking dish with 1/2 inch of water, place the squash upside down and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until the flesh is softened.

While the squash is baking, prepare the filling. Melt butter in a frying pan and saute onion, celery and apple. When wilted, add cranberries, pecans, apple juice, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, and salt and pepper (if desired). Cook slowly until sugar is dissolved then remove from heat.

Remove squash from the oven and discard water. Turn right side up. Stir together croutons (unseasoned) and cooked mixture. Stuff the squash and return to the oven for an additional 15 minutes or until browned. The stuffed squash can be served as a side, but I think it's hearty enough to be a main dish. -- Margy

6 comments:

  1. Wow - does that ever look good!! I've got a squash that I want to use and we're having pork chops for dinner. This would be a perfect side dish! So glad I saw this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Margy, that sounds delicious! I must try something like this.
    Now, don't laugh, but it never occurred to me to trim the bottom of the squash so it would stand upright. I always cut it in half from stem to stern, as it were, then cook the two pieces side by side. Your way sounds like a more "balanced" meal!
    -- K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delish! I love acorn squash and usually just put in a dab of butter and brown sugar. I'm going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it was a tasty dish and relatively easy to fix. I didn't mention it in the recipe, but I made my own croutons by slow baking some English muffin bread left over from my turkey stuffing.

    Kay, just wanted you to know I didn't waste the top I cut off. I cubed the squash and mixed it with other hearty veggies to oven baked with a little olive oil the night before. The only waste was the stem and the little tip on the bottom.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete
  5. We actually ate out yesterday, despite hubby's BAD back. and had acorn squash soup. YUM!
    THis looks great, too. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Cheers from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love acorn squash...well all squash and yours looks especially yummy!

    ReplyDelete