Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Playing Hooky

I came to Southern California to do some consulting work for my former school district. I arrived Sunday night, but when I made contact, they couldn't meet with me until Tuesday. It's been in the high 90s (37 C), so I decided to play hooky and head down to Seal Beach to cool off.

When I was going to Long Beach State University, it was a favourite haunt. We would sun ourselves on the beach during the day and head for the watering holes after the sun went down. Somewhere in the middle we did a bit of studying.

I was amazed that I was able to find a front row, next to the sand spot to park my seafoam green rental Ford Focus. This should be the last week before school begins in many districts. Maybe more are starting early like mine, or going on the quarter system. Whatever the case, there weren't many people enjoying a sunny, warm Monday.

I sat on the sand for several hours reading my Kindle. They are so great, you can sit in direct sunlight and still see the screen clearly. In between pages I watched a large work boat picking up and delivering crew members from the oil rigs offshore. The docking procedure next to the pier was pretty exciting. And the passenger transfer must have been even more so with the heavy swells and heaving ship.

I walked up Main Street to select a restaurant for dinner. I picked Walt's Wharf. The food was excellent. I started with a plate of six raw oysters from Malaspina Inlet, just north of Powell River. Made me feel a little closer to home. Then I had the lobster and crab cakes appy. It came with an arugula and cucumber salad. Just right after all the oysters.

Now that was way better than working! I should play hooky more often. - Margy


  1. Nice views of SoCal, Margy. Sounds like a nice meal at Walt's, as well, complete with the oysters from Malaspina Strait. If I may, however, might I suggest that Malaspina Strait is more south of Powell River than north, as it runs between the mainland and Texada Island?



  2. Good catch Wil. I should have written Malaspina Inlet which is up near Okeover. - Margy

  3. LOL, getting geographically corrected isn't so bad after a day at the beach and a lovely meal including Malaspina (Inlet) oysters.
    Playing hooky sounds great. Glad you had a good time, Margy.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

  4. I'm with you Margy. Looks much more fun that working. You are in a lovely area. My hubby is in Monterey all week. Hope you enjoy your time there, work and all.

  5. I want to go to Southern California to do some "consulting." ;-)

  6. Kay - With so many straits and inlets it was an easy mistake to make. Thanks to will I now have it right.

    Lorie and lizziviggi - It's good work, and I can do most of it on the computer over the Internet. Fortunately the temps were in the 80s when I was there. When I lived in LA, summer could get pretty bad.


  7. Oooh, love beaches, hate the tourists!!!! :-)