Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Gardening Update

This year I haven't been able to do much gardening up at the cabin. I didn't plant much because we weren't going to be able to be there to do summer watering. Little did I know Mother Nature would take care of that for me. Last summer we only got two days of rain in the month of July. This year it has been just about the opposite.

My float garden has onions, one struggling strawberry bed (that needs to come out), my perennial herbs, and asparagus gone to fern. I never got a chance to pull what was left of my carrots from last season, so they've gone to seed. My friend Margaret (at Thistle Garden) suggested I let them go and save the seeds. Why not. I probably won't get another chance. At least from a distance the float looks like it is thriving.

On the deck my rhubarb that was doing so well died back to one leaf. I think that's the end of it. Too much rain isn't always a good thing.

But my potatoes in barrels are loving it. and my Scarlet Runner Beans are off to a good start and starting to blossom. This week I get to go up to the cabin for three days. Maybe I'll snitch a potato or two for supper one night. There should be enough for now and later. -- Margy

4 comments:

  1. Hi Margy, yes from a distance the garden looks great. Potatoes in containers have always been good for me too. So you are remodeling or rebuilding or is that the same.
    I have met a very nice man and we have been doing daytrips and week trips so I really have been busy and having some much deserved FUN!! Are you still mostly living in Bellingham for now? How is everyone there?

    MB

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you get enough seeds maybe I can have some? It's hard to find carrot seeds from local gardeners because you need to wait two years to growing summers to get them..

    ReplyDelete
  3. None of our veggies have seeded themselves but quite a few flowers did. I had very little need to purchase any annuals this season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear from you MB - Glad you are having so much fun this summer.

    Margaret - I'll try your suggestion about covering the flowers with muslin to capture the seeds as they dry. Of course I'll share if it works.

    2 Tramps - I've tried gathering flower seeds for years but don't seem to have much success except for the pansies that reseed themselves in my front porch pots. The seeds I save and plant elsewhere just don't seem to take.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy