Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Fish and Chips Capital of Canada

OK, maybe that's an exaggeration, but if you visit White Rock, BC, and want something to eat, fish and chips are everywhere you look. In a way it makes sense. White Rock is right on the coast where fish is fresh and plentiful.

I stopped in White Rock on the way back from Vancouver Airport. Exit Highway 99 at 8th Avenue (just before the border) and drive west to this lovely coastal community. 8th Avenue turns into Marine Drive with Semiahmoo Bay on your left and a line of restaurants and shops on your right. I visited on a rainy spring weekday, so there were no crowds. I can only imagine a warm summer day.

My goal was lunch and I had lots of oceanfront restaurants to choose from. I picked Moby Dick mostly because of the name. When I went inside I was surprised at how small it was, but I got a table by the window without a wait. Just looking at the whale memorabilia was worth the visit.

I ordered the smallest fish and chips, and a cup of clam chowder. The chowder arrived adorned with a spouting whale in dill. The fish was crispy accompanied by fries made with fresh Yukon Gold potatoes just like I grow.

If you are looking for lunch or a leisurely stroll on the beach, stop by White Rock, BC. -- Margy

3 comments:

  1. What type of fish do you get with your chips? The most common fish here is cod but when I was in South Africa we had snoek and chips (that was before I went veggie) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fran from across the pond - The sign said lingcod which is available locally, but has been controlled due to low numbers lately. I've caught them before. They get quite big and are as ugly as sin, but oh so tasty. Halibut is also a common fish for fish and chips here, but it is usually more expensive than the cod. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:26 AM

    the best fish n chips are just down the street at 'the FishBoat'

    ReplyDelete