Last week I was surprised by Lorac over at Ahhh...The Cottage Life. I was honoured that she gave me the Stylish Blogger Award.
Lorac is a fellow Canadian who hails from Georgetown, Ontario. I always enjoy her posts about nature and scenic countryside. Thanks Lorac. And now for the rules of the award"
“By accepting this award I’m to tell five of my favourite things and then pick five people to pass the award on to."So here goes:
- Number one has to be our cabin up the lake. Of course, it is much more than just a structure. It is a way of life I've always dreamed about. Ever since my childhood my grandmother said I was born in the wrong generation. I love getting away from civilization, living off the grid and learning self sustaining skills that I never needed in my former city life.
- Gardening. I've always enjoyed growing things to eat. Even when we lived in city condos, I had a little patch out back. My floating garden has been lots of fun. It is four raised beds on a cedar log float. Plus I do lots of container gardening on the cabin deck.
- Watercraft. Until we got our cabin, I hardly ever went boating. Now we have lots of boats and I'm learning how to drive some. My favourite is our Campion bow rider lake boat which is easy for me to manage. Wayne drives most of our other boats including a Bayliner for ocean trips. We also have several kayaks and a new (to Wayne) Laser sailboat.
- Cooking. I enjoy cooking especially when we are at the cabin. I have a propane stove but have experimented with lots of recipes using our wood stove. In winter, it is going almost 24/7 and the heat is free. I've even used it as an oven to bake bread.
- Nature. Whether I am in the city or country, I love to look for the beauty in nature. I love bird watching and identification. Of course, that is easier up the lake, but there are always birds every where you go. Using our quads (ATVs) Wayne and I have seen some beautiful country that would be inaccessible otherwise.
- Float Cabin Construction. This is a new blog, but the animated video of float cabin construction is well worth the visit. Jeddy lives in Powell River and is a good friend and great support of Powell River Books.
- KnowBC. This is a great site for past and current information about British Columbia. It's authors are BC author Dan Francis and Howard White of Harbour Publishing.
- Solar Burrito Blog. Solar Burrito writes about cabins and living off the grid. There's always something interesting to learn if you like the remote lifestyle.
- Thistle Garden. I've written about Margaret from Powell River before, but her blog is one of my absolute favourites. She writes frequently about gardening and is a role model for me.
- Bellingham Daily Photo. lizziviggi and ejvig team up to share the town of Bellingham through a photo a day. I've learned a lot about my second home through them.