Sunday, January 23, 2011

Cabin Cooking: Breakfast for One

What do you make for breakfast after boiling potatoes to get water to refresh you sourdough starter? Hashbrowns of course.

Last August I dug the potatoes out of their barrels and stored them individually wrapped in newspaper. The open sided plastic trays help keep them from sweating and spoiling. This year I grew both Norland Reds and Yukon Gold potatoes. So far the Yukon Golds are staying firmer. This wouldn't be a good solution for a large crop, but for my small one it's perfect.

The potatoes were already diced and cooled from the night before, so in the morning I gave them a slow cook in butter until they became brown and crunchy. With a few strips of bacon, a crispy fried egg and a dollop of ketchup, I was in breakfast heaven. Cabin cooking is the best! Yum. -- Margy

5 comments:

  1. Looks like what I just finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered what you were going to do with those potatoes post-sourdough-starting. Perfect solution! I really must visit your lake some day.
    -- K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would definitely last me til tea time around 4 pm! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it was a yummy treat. I usually have a breakfast like this at about 11:00 so it does last me all day. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, you've just made me hungry for a delicious breakfast...that looks so scrumptious! I love the fact you grow potatoes in barrels too - what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete