Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Red-tailed Hawks

Bellingham Airport doesn't just attract airplanes like these MD-80s for Allegiant Airlines. Allegiant serves cities such as Las Vegas (a very popular one), Long Beach, Los Angeles, Oakland, Palm Springs, Phoenix/Mesa, San Diego and the San Francisco Bay area.

While checking on our own airplane 997 the other day, I found three Red-tailed Hawks in a tree across the street.

At least that is what I think they were based on the prominent reddish-brown tail. The Red-tailed Hawk is the most common hawk in North America. They sit in high places and soar above open fields, looking for tasty morsels. I am sure this bare maple tree made a good lookout post. And the open grassy areas around the runways probably have lots of small voles, mice or rabbits.

Unfortunately, birds and airports don't always get along. In 2009 in the US, there were approximately 9,000 bird and animals strikes. That's a whole lot of metal to animal collisions. And it's never a good thing on either side. But because of their open nature, airports are a huge magnet for lots of critters. -- Margy


  1. I know what you mean, Margy. I had a discussion with one blog reader who insisted it was a falcon, much less common. Esp. in our part of the world.
    I'm with you...hawk! :-)

  2. Yup, Those are Red Tails, good eye Margy!

  3. We have both those birds here - the Red Tail hawk and Allegiant. We enjoy watching them both. We have flown with Allegiant several times - so nice to be able to fly direct to Las Vegas and Mesa.

  4. Jenn - They sure were big birds and really interesting to watch. First one, then another and finally the last one flew away. They didn't seem to be afraid of my presence taking pictures.

    Fallen - I wouldn't have guess it if I hadn't got the once shot from behind. The cries to me said hawk right away.


  5. 2 Tramps - I have yet to fly with Allegiant. I have an Alaska credit card and earn miles for free flights so Horizon has always been my airline of choice out of Bellingham. But the direct flights to lots of different locations with Allegiant is nice. - Margy

  6. Yes, those are red-tailed hawks. Nice capture!

    Would you believe I have lived here most of my life and never flown out of Bellingham? For some reason or another, it always made sense to fly out of Seattle or Vancouver. As Bellingham's airport is expanding so rapidly, though, it's starting to make more sense. I read an article just the other day in the Vancouver Sun that Bellingham's airport is getting all the Canadian business. ;-)

  7. Like many US airports close to Canada, such as Burlington, VT, Platsburg, NY, and Buffalo, NY, Bellingham is well positioned to take advantage of Canadians looking for cheap US domestic flights.

    With a great bus connection from Bellingham airport up into Surrey and Vancouver, Bellingham is also a great gateway for Canadians looking to get cheaper prices over to Europe. A few months ago, when I wanted to fly from Vancouver over to London, I got a better price on Air Canada out of Seattle than I could get flying Air Canada out of Vancouver. Go figure. Adding a short hop from Bellingham to SEATAC made it just as fast.

    Anyway, Margy, love those photos you keep coming up with!

    All the best,