Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Corner Restaurant

When Wayne and I drive down to the Navy Base at Oak Harbor, we often get hungry along the way. A handy place to stop is at the corner where Highway 20 turns south from Fidalgo Island to Whidbey Island. And what better name for the restaurant than The Corner Restaurant.

We've been there for lunch and dinner, but haven't tried breakfast yet. The timing of our trips hasn't lent itself to that experience. However, their $3.99 weekday specials look very tempting.

Today we had the seafood baskets. I got the prawns and Wayne had the fried clams. They were big orders with lots of fries and a side of coleslaw. Speaking of the fries, they were wonderful, crunchy outside and moist inside. I asked how they were made, but was told it's a secret. Other choices include sandwiches, soups, salads and lots of comfort foods like meatloaf, turkey and roast beef dinners. There's even an early bird special from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. where two can dine for $13.99.

If your tummy has enough room, their homemade pies are great. My favourite is the blackberrry of course. So turn on in at "The Corner" for a great meal any time of the day. -- Margy


  1. How odd...I've actually eaten here at this restaurant with an American friend of mine who swears it is the best in all of Washington. So I guess you're right on the mark, Margy!!

    Have a very happy holiday season!

  2. Well, now I know where to go when I'm hungrily passing through Oak Harbor! Any place that has fries worth asking the secret for is worth a drive all on its own, if you ask me. I think I may clear today's schedule and make a little trip...

  3. Hi Margy,
    Wishing you, Wayne and your Mom and wonderful Christmas!


  4. Sounds good and as always amazed by the prices. Food in the US is so inexpensive compared to B.C. food prices.
    It was lovely to see Wayne the other day and can't wait to see you in the New Year, hopefully you will have time for a visit.
    For now I wish you all a very Merry Christmas.


  5. Marion - Then you know how tasty it is. It's right on the way to and from the ferry at Anacortes to Victoria so it's a good stop to or from there as well.

    Lizziviggi - We caught it at a slow time between lunch and dinner, but I've been there in the summer months when it is pretty crowded. Yes, the fries were great!

    Thanks Elaine - Merry Christmas to you and yours as well. Hope you have a great holiday this weekend.

    Margaret - The minute I walked in I though of you. Above the bar were several really nice antique plaques advertising foods and places to eat.


  6. Sounds very nice.. So pity that I don´t live nearby..