Saturday, February 18, 2012

Thermoelectric Power: Running Wire

Wayne and I are always looking for renewable sources such as solar and wind to make electrical power at our cabin. In the winter however, neither one can generate enough so we have to resort to a backup generator to keep our batteries charged and in good condition. I knew there was something called thermoelectric power (we had a co-generator back when I worked at the school district).

We have a wonderful heat generation device at the cabin, our wood stove. And in the winter it runs pretty much 24/7. Just think about all that wasted heat energy. So several years ago, I did some research on thermoelectric power using a wood stove. I found this article about a project in Sweden. I knew it was possible, but I also knew we didn't have the skills to do on our own.

We began in October 2009 by asking our good friend John for help. John helped us run the wire needed from our wood stove at the front of the cabin to the battery bank in the rear. We had some heavy duty cable left over from our wind generator installation, so that was perfect for the job.

We don't have a basement, but there is a crawl space under the float deck that serves a similar purpose. After running the wire underneath, John prepared the two ends for connections. He also tied the cable up under the deck flooring for additional protection from the elements.

Inside the cabin, we had to drill a hole in the floor. Once the installation was complete, we sealed the hole to keep out our resident mice. I'm sure they would love to come in where it's nice and warm. -- Margy

6 comments:

  1. good to have friends (who will venture) in the tight places!
    looks like a great project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John to the rescue. I'm very interested to hear how this will work out, keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read a little about the generator. Will you use the lake as the cooling source? I'd like to see a more detailed post on your setup of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is your TEG generator working? Sounds pretty cool. how much power do you get from it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you. Following you on twitter as KB1.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the comments.

    KB - Thanks for the follow. All my blog posts are announced on Twitter.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy