Monday, June 29, 2009

"Three's a Crew" by Kathrene Pinkerton

Summer is reading time. I take my books out on the deck and read while soaking up some of the warm summer rays. My new Utopia floating lounge is also a great reading location.

I like to read books about our local area and destinations I'd like to explore. Scrounging through one of my favourite used book stores, I found Three's a Crew by Kathrene Pinkerton (Horsdal & Schubart, 1991). You can get it online through Amazon.com or Amazon.ca if you don't see it in your used book store.

In Three's a Crew, Kathrene Pinkerton recounts the many annual cruises she took with her husband and daughter up the Strait of Georgia, through the Inside Passage and all the way to Alaska. It sounded like it could have been set in present day, but the family's voyages took place from 1924 to 1931. In some cases, places along the BC coast were more populated then than they are today. As fishing and logging have declined, so have many of the remote camps, homesteads and outposts. Yet, some of the more resilient and resourceful have persisted.

Several weeks ago, Wayne and I cruised in our Bayliner to one of Kathrene's favourite destinations, the Yacultas Rapids (spelled Yucluetaws in her book). We didn't find Henry's Tiny Cove, but we did spend the night in Big Bay just past the rapids. At mid-tide, the rapids roar. But at high and low tide, the water goes slack so that even the most simple boats can navigate them safely. And sport fishing is still an important pastime in these salmon rich waters. As we sat at the dock, I thought about Kathrene's adventurous spirit all those many years ago. Now it's our turn to follow in wake.

What are you reading this summer? Have any good recommendations for me? -- Margy

6 comments:

  1. Margy, I have been doing a lot of book reviews, and have two more coming up on July 1st. They aren't formal book reviews, more of a book review/blog, with the Book Review Club!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenn, I came by to read some of your reviews. I'll be watching for the new ones. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks very comfy. I'm on the lookout for some floating toys and will have to check out the link you provided.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. Threes a Crew sounds like a book I might like! Lately I've been reading books about Bernese Mtn Dogs - lol! But I did re-read Alone in the Wilderness recently - true story of Dick Proenekke and his life in Alaska. One of my favorite books and also one of my favorite movies I've seen on PBS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a book I would like.I love your little floaty thingy it looks like a lot of fun.
    ~~Hugs Betty ~~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margy,

    I salmon fished with the Nanook Lodge that is close to the Yacultas Rapids. It was a great trip. Very beautiful area and hope to return to Nanook next year.

    In the meantime, my family and I will be in Victoria and Whistler later this year.

    Thank you for the enjoyable blog.

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy