Thursday, March 20, 2008

Coastal BC Plants: Spring Salmonberry and Pussywillow

 Salmonberry

On the surface it doesn't look any different than yesterday, but there are signs everywhere spring is here. On our quad ride to Theo we found beautiful bright pink (officially purple) salmonberry flowers just starting to open. Soon they will bloom and the green leaves will emerge. In not too many months they will have ripe orange-red berries to nourish humans and animals alike.

Pussywillow

When we arrived at Olson's Landing there was another sign of impending spring. The willow trees near the banks of Olsen Creek had their fuzzy catkins sprouting along their spiky stems. We brought a cutting of pussywillow home to remind us of our trip and to hopefully develop roots in its vase.

Today we are heading back up the lake (the whole family - Mom, cat, Wayne and I). Tomorrow is garden planting day. It is a spring rite I love. If you are a frequent reader we will return in about a week. Until then a Happy Easter to everyone! -- Margy

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:20 AM

    Hope you have a Happy Easter. We saw a sign of spring this morning there was a Humming bird flitting around our feeder so I guess I had better make them some food or they will be mad at me.~Betty~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words on the travel forum... I like your site too and I can't wait for spring so I can start digging in the old Toronto dumps again. Do you have any old dump sites near Powell River?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Betty - haven't seen any hummers yet, but yesterday I saw the first violet-green swallow checking out our birdhouses on the shed. We got our garden planted and immediately put nets over so that the juncos wouldn't invade like they did last year. I hear them in the trees, but don't see any around the garden yet. -- Margy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robert - we have quite a few locations where old logging and mining operations dumped their bottles, cans, etc. There are also lots of old logging gear just left in the bush to discover. Our lake was dammed in the early 1900s. It is low right now and an old logging camp was uncovered. I found some broken but interesting china. Many of the camps used Japanese and Chinese workers. These items looked oriental in origin. I plan to do some research on the images and markings to learn more. I really like your blog. I bookmarked it for future reference as well. -- Margy

    ReplyDelete