Friday, August 24, 2007

Becoming a Locavore

That's a new word for me, but it sure fits. I read a post by Louise Huneault on Yahoo! Canada entitiled "Become a locavore: Top reasons for eating locally grown food." While I try to get to the Powell River Farmer's Market, it is sometimes difficult. My solution was planting a kitchen garden at my floating cabin. Some items produce year round (herbs mostly), but my main harvest starts in June and lasts through October.

August has been a time of plenty. My lettuce has bolted, but the leaves are still tasty. I eat the best and then add the remainder of the plant to my compost pile. This way I do a little clean-up each time I pick my greens. It is more fun that way than all at once at the end of the season. It also give me room to plant more things for fall harvesting. That's how I got room for some tomatoes and zucchini.

Right now the potatoes and carrots are ready. Each year I have one plant that's the best. This year it is my carrots. I usually get small ones since my garden is in shallow beds. But this year they are huge! The larger ones must be reaching all the way down to the bottom of the bed where it meets the lake water. Maybe that is why they are so large, they have a steady supply of moisture when the days are hot.

Do you have a kitchen garden? I would love to hear about your experiences. I am new at this, but am having a lot of fun becoming a locavore. -- Margy


  1. That's amazing Margy... Good job, your garden is beautiful, and the photo that shows the cabin and garden area is awesome.. You and Wayne own a piece of paradise, for sure..


  2. I love the simple challenges of your life there, the creative ways you deal with living. It is just my cup a tea!

    Would you have a cabin that would accommodate a potters wheel?